Saturday, October 22, 2011

Changing Seasons

Aspen Color!
For most of my life I struggled with the change in seasons.  I didn’t like having less daylight and colder weather.  It made me depressed, anxious, and very lethargic.  I fought it tooth and nail, which I don’t recommend, because resistance is futile.  

My Sit Spot
 
Then a few years ago a friend took me to an autumn ritual gathering.  The leader talked about the significance of autumn in our lives.  At this time of year the cold and darkness drives us inward, it is a time of reflection, planning, and gathering in preparation for winter.  We burned something we wanted to let go of (written on paper) and wrote down a wish for the spring and stuffed it inside a plastic egg.   I don’t know what it was about that night, perhaps just coming to understand the importance of autumn, but something changed in me.  I felt at peace with the change in seasons, in fact, I relished it!  Since then, I no longer feel depressed or lethargic when the days get shorter.  I get excited.  How wonderful it is to watch the leaves change color, to feel the chill in the air, and retreat to a warm snuggly blanket with a cup of hot tea!  A fall color trip can also help welcome in the new fall season.

Faerie Grove

This year I am thinking about using the dark, cold months to hatch my jewelry store on Etsy.  What better time to sit and create and start something new?  


Fall Color in Lee Vining Canyon

No comments:

Post a Comment