Monday, October 24, 2011

A Bad Spell

Flat nose pliers, bent nose pliers and jump rings.

 
I just experienced my first setback in selling my jewelry on-line.  It was completely mental and had me in a headlock so fast it took me several days to realize what had happened.  I ran out of materials for the line I’m working on.  All week I had been creating and designing.  I was so caught up in the work I didn’t realize I was almost out.  When I was forced to stop, I stagnated. 

You might ask, “Well why not just order more, silly Pam?”  But I was feeling guilty about spending money and worried about my tight finances.  I will just have to bite the bullet and do it.  My other excuse for not ordering was that the shipping (UPS Ground) takes about 2 weeks.  Yeah I know, the sooner I order the quicker it will arrive, but for some reason I find this discouraging. 

There is plenty I can do while waiting for my supplies in the mail: sketch more designs, read my right-brained business book, blog, explore creating my business plan and “look” for my Etsy store, set up a photo “stage”, and photograph what I’ve made so far.  Believe it or not, I might have enough materials stuffed away that I can still make a few more pieces. 

So why am I still stuck?  I think it has something to do with the sudden break in creative flow and fear.  With all my confidence I still fear failure, debt, and difficulty.  What if I don’t sell anything?  I just have to remind myself that this is an experiment.  As long as I don’t spend too much money, there is little risk, and I had fun in the process.  In my wildest dreams I am an independent artist, making my living off my art.  It is never going to happen if I don’t try. 

So, the discouragement spell is officially broken, I’m back to work.

2 comments:

  1. It's alarming but true that a little bump in the road can sometimes trip us up like that. But you're right -- it's just fear, just something to be worked though. Good for you for moving forward in whatever way you can! You go, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Ramona! I think the drive to keep going is stronger than the hiccup that slowed me down.

    ReplyDelete