Saturday, October 15, 2011

Box of Memories

My Grandmother's charm bracelets.

To those who have collected jewelry all their life, a journey through the jewelry box is a trip back in time. 

My collection is like a photo album.  When I hold necklaces that belonged to my grandmothers I see their faces shining back at me.  My favorite pendants from childhood remind me of a particular age, outfit, holiday or feeling.  Some pieces are from my first trip to San Francisco, gifts from friends and former students, visits to street festivals, and special vacations.  My jewelry box also contains a record of different phases in my life; the 80’s, my rhinestone period (before "Bling"), the Goddess years, world culture hippie, and “small and delicate”.  I have a few necklaces I made when I was little and many I’ve made as an adult. 

For me, the value of a piece of jewelry is not its materials or artistry, but the story it tells.  This explains why I have so much trouble clearing away the clutter.  As long as I have space, and can keep it organized, I don’t mind.  Every so often I get rid of things because their sentimental value has slipped away and I know I’ll never wear it again.  But I don’t throw them out.  Necklaces and earrings get disassembled and added to my workshop to be repurposed into new wearable art.

No comments:

Post a Comment