Thursday, January 5, 2012

Artist's Statement

A wind direction sculpture I discovered at Fort Mason on Monday.

I worked on my artist's statement last week and thought I'd share it with you. This is the statement I will use in my Etsy shop, so it is geared towards the jewelry shopper. Artist's statements are so hard to write! I find myself wanting to say so much about who I am and my artistic vision. It is hard to sum it up in a couple sentences. In this case I think shorter is sweeter. Any feedback is much appreciated!

***

Making art and jewelry has always been the center of my life. As a child I was lucky to spend much of my time in the presence of two excellent craftswomen - my grandmothers who inspired me to pursue my own creative interests. Throughout my childhood and beyond I’ve dabbled in many types of media. In college I attended the San Francisco Art Institute, majored in painting, and graduated with a BFA. For the past 15 years I have been teaching art to elementary school students in public schools.

I am inspired by color, shape, line, Bay Area artists and most of all, nature. I am happiest when making things with my hands. Jewelry is the perfect art because I get to work with a wide variety of materials and create small beautiful things I can wear wherever I go. My portfolio of skills also includes painting, drawing, printmaking, photography, and mixed media sculpture.

I hope you enjoy my Etsy store. Come back frequently as my work is always evolving.”


No comments:

Post a Comment