Tuesday, November 29, 2011

The Security of Having an "Out"

Tennessee Valley Beach
Monday I went for a short hike in Tennessee Valley after work.  I couldn’t believe how hard it was to get myself there!  I was tired from teaching all day and all I really wanted to do was go home and eat chocolate!  So, I told myself that I would decide what to do as I got closer on my drive home.  After all, I went through the trouble of packing my walking shoes that morning.  As I approached the area I mysteriously found myself in the exit lane!  I resolved to drive to the parking lot and sit in the car looking at the hills, getting out was optional.  But of course, I was compelled to put on my shoes and stretch my legs.  The deal was to get to the first bench and not go any further if I didn’t feel like it.  But, of course, I did.  I walked to the beach and back, about 4 miles I think. 

It cracks me up how I had to keep giving myself a way out in order to move forward.  I’m so glad I made it and stretched my legs.  The valley was very pretty and the wind was calm.  The smells, sights, and sounds of nature energized me.  Perhaps next time it won’t be such a battle to get there.  

Pleasing Light
I think this strategy can be applied to a great number of things we need/want to do and make excuses for.  To push just a little bit further, without fully committing ourselves.  Like getting a child to eat their peas; just give it a try, and if you don’t like it, that’s okay.  It was the child in me that wanted to go home and bury my fatigue in something sweet.  I’m glad I was able to coax her out of her comfort zone. 


Surprising Patterns in the Eucalyptus
 

No comments:

Post a Comment