Saturday, February 11, 2012

Taking Time for Loss

Cemetery Rose
Death gives us pause. 

Two weeks ago I suddenly lost a very dear family member, my Uncle Bob.  Since then I’ve been taking everything a little more slowly, being gentle with myself, and grieving.  The hardest part is knowing I’ll never see him again. 

This has been a time of reflecting on our relationship, the reality of death, and my own life.  I have found comfort in family and friends, chai tea at Open Secret Bookstore in San Rafael, feeling the life force in nature, classical music, and knowing that part of him lives on in me. 

My uncle was a charming, grounded, generous, hard-working, creative, loving soul.  He accepted me for who I am, honored and respected me for my endeavors and abilities, and always made me feel like the guest of honor in his presence.  He had a big smile, sparkling blue eyes, and gave big hugs.  I adored him.

In remembering Uncle Bob I am inspired to continue doing what I love, pushing it as far as I can take it, and living in the present, fully savoring every moment.  How lucky I am to have known such a person.  He didn’t know I opened my Etsy shop a few weeks ago, but I know he would be proud and excited for me.

With a sniffle and a tear, I boldly push forward and surrender to the spirit that moves through and unites all things. 

Aho.

No comments:

Post a Comment