Thursday, February 23, 2012

Going Abstract



When inspiration strikes, it’s time to act.  I find that if I wait (out of fear or convenience) the window of opportunity closes and I often don’t come back to the idea.

So you are probably wondering what is going on with the painting above.  Over a year ago I was inspired by the encaustic work of an artist friend.  The paintings were mostly abstract and incorporated glitter.  Ahhh glitter!  I knew I needed to do something with glitter.  I bought the Martha Stewart glitter collection but never used it.  I felt blocked.  I couldn’t just jump into a painting without some sort of idea.

Now, after all this time, the moment has arrived.  After all the tiny myco drawings for jewelry pendants, inspiration struck.  I was lying in bed thinking about the fun, intriguing and beautiful world of slime molds and lichen when I had the idea; I can paint this subject.  And, these paintings would be the prefect place for a little glitter, maybe even tiny beads. 

So, this morning before making breakfast or tea (I’ll eat when I finish writing this blog) I got to work.  Oil paint is not great for any sort of collage; the oils break down materials imbedded in it.  So I got out the acrylics.  It has been a long time since I used them!  I put down a thin underglaze, sketched out my design, and started painting with modeling paste.  I am going all out, exploring the opposite of what I’ve been doing with paint for the past couple years.  I need to wait for things to dry before I do more.  The wonderful thing about acrylic is that my wait won’t be long.  What you see above will look very different when it is finished.  If I like it, I’ll do more!

Does this mean my style is changing?  Who knows?  Maybe this painting will help bring new life my candy/shell/sea glass work.  Maybe I’ll make more jewelry.  Maybe everything that I have ever wanted to express will gel and I’ll be at the top of my game.  Or, perhaps it will just be a fun exercise in self- expression.  Am I worried about any of this?  Not a chance. I'm just enjoying the flow of creativity.  A beautiful gift on a sunny, warm winter day.

No comments:

Post a Comment