Tuesday, December 27, 2011

The Ultimate Body Oil

Ignore the ingredients listed on top of the jar from last year, I didn't bother rewriting them.  BTW, I decorated these bottle brush trees with new and vintage buttons a couple years go.  They are my favorite holiday decoration.
 
This is the time of year when dry itchy skin seems to be part of living.  Ugh!  Over the years I’ve played around with making salves and body oils to varying degrees of success.  It’s fun to make your own.  In August 2010 I put together a juicy mixture of oils and the result was a disaster.  I think my mistake was including aloe gel.  It got moldy.  Eeew! 

A couple days ago I tried again.  This time leaving out the aloe and adding a splash of gin as a preservative.  The mixture was emulsified in a blender and was a big improvement from last years mix.  Unfortunately I got carried away with the bee’s wax and my moisturizer is more like a salve.  It is not easy to put on because I really have to dig my fingers in.  I guess if it really bothers me, I can melt everything again and add more oil. 

Here are the ingredients if you want to give it a go.  I’m not giving amounts because I really don’t know how much I used!

Body Oil Ingredients:

Shea butter
Coconut oil
Jojoba oil
Almond oil
Apricot oil
Avocado oil
Vitamin E oil
Bees Wax
Gin
Essential oils (your choice – each container of mine has a different scent)

Melt all but the gin and essential oils in a small pot, emulsify with the gin in a blender, pour into glass containers (avoid plastic, you don't want the heat of the oil releasing toxins in the plastic which are then absorbed into the skin), and mix in the essential oils last.  Let cool and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment