Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Reflections of an Art Educator


Entry sign at the Youth in Arts Gallery

This afternoon I stopped by the Youth in Arts Gallery in San Rafael to see the work of Brooke Toczylowski, a former artist in residence in the Sausalito and Marin City School District.  This exhibit features her journal drawings, each representing a day of teaching, chronicling the 2010-2011 school year.  The work brought a tear to my eye.  I deeply appreciated her personal reactions to inequality in a racially diverse environment, and I could relate to many of her day-to-day struggles in the art room.  The exhibit also includes her “Process Books”; documenting student projects, their learning, and incorporating student quotes, photos, and examples of some of their work.  These books were fun to look through.  I was inspired to see children exposed to real art concepts such as “What does the world look like through your eyes” and student artists learning about how to stick with a subject over a long period of time. 

Brooke Toczylowski's drawings and process books

A few of Toczylowski's drawings from the end of the school year

Youth in Arts facilitates teaching artist programs in schools.  Their artists specialize in visual art, dance, drama, music and more.  The gallery is open Monday – Friday 10-2 and the closing reception is November 5th. 

Right next door to Youth in Arts is Open Secret Bookstore.  I had not been there in many years so I stopped in for a look.  I was surprised to see they now have a small cafeteria serving yummy looking vegan food.  What a great place.  I have many wonderful memories of going there for readings, meditations, rituals and concerts.  I felt like I could hang out there for hours, but the desire to work on my many projects had me homeward bound.

Open Secret Bookstore

 

No comments:

Post a Comment