Sunday, September 18, 2011

Points of Light

Image, lit from the front

I love Mendocino, California!  Last February I was there for a short weekend trip and saw a few pieces by a fantastic artist exhibiting at the Mendocino Art Center.  Now, I’m kicking myself for not writing down her name.  (I need to find a very small, groovy notebook that I can carry everywhere I go.)  Anyway, the artist had two very fine, detailed, organic drawings that I found unique and inspiring.  The shapes looked like microscopic creatures.  But what I really loved was a large tree created by tiny pinholes!  The holes were so evenly spaced, it must have taken a long time to create.  The image was a delicate, perforated leafless tree, white on white. 

After thinking about this technique for months, and with my husband’s birthday a few days away, I decided to give it a go.  I created a small birthday card by drawing with a tack.  It wasn’t easy.  I sketched the mushroom first, taped the sketch to the good paper, and commenced punching (with a cardboard backing).  I started with a sewing needle and after a minute, my hand cramped up.  I tried other pins with the same results.  Finally, I tried using a large pushpin, which was much easier to hold.  It worked for the most part.  In some places my holes were too close together and the paper is very delicate.  Overall I like the effect. 

My next attempts will include paper that is colored on the back, so the holes will have a little hue to them.  I’m also going to try using Styrofoam as a backing so I don’t have to put so much force into the punch.  What does this mean in relation to my other work?  I don’t know yet, maybe nothing.  I love experimenting with new ideas.  Perhaps I’ll do this lesson with my students one day, if I can invent a punch that doesn’t cramp the hand so badly.

"Every moment of light and dark is a miracle." - Walt Whitman

Image, lit from behind

Until then, may the muse be with you!

No comments:

Post a Comment