Thursday, December 2, 2010

Treasure Hunt



I’m a beachcomber.  It started when I was 8 during my first visit to San Francisco. I found my first piece of sea glass on Paradise Beach.  The ocean and bay were an awesome sight to my young Midwestern eyes.  Yes, there are beaches on Lake Michigan, but I don’t remember ever finding anything but loose change, crowds of people, and trash.

Often you will see me on the beach when there is a minus tide.  I’m out there with the clam diggers, fishermen, surfers, joggers, and dog walkers.  My hands are in my pockets, nose pointed down, and I’m walking slowly.  The beach is different every time I go.  Sometimes I find fistfuls of colorful glass, pebbles and shells.  Other times there is nothing.  A low tide is no guarantee of a “good haul”.

Yesterday, even though I went with the sole purpose of photographing the sunset, I found myself scanning the sand, looking for my favorite colored jewels.  Occasionally I’d remember to look up, and snap a picture or two.  The tide was low and I found a glistening piece of sea foam green glass.  Oh joy!  I also found a large intact razor clam shell and other precious things.  Perhaps they will become the subjects of future paintings, or maybe I will just hold them and admire their beauty on a cold rainy day, like today.  



1 comment:

  1. Beautiful! I will return to read, as spinning off to community stuff, at the very last minute! LOVE & Joy, Pam!

    ReplyDelete