Sunday, April 22, 2012

Clay Commission

"Crow Dreaming", ceramic with pearls and beads, 8 x 11", 2012
Over a month ago a friend commissioned me to create a clay piece for her atrium.  She needed art that could handle being outside.  Clay is perfect for that.  She told me I could create anything I like as long as it hangs on a wall and is not too large.  The possibilities were endless.  Hundreds of ideas ran through my head.  Finally I settled on an idea that had a personal connection to my friend.  After a couple of sketches I constructed the piece.  I had so much fun!  It was like drawing without a pencil.  This is my first relief sculpture, and certainly not my last.  I enjoy the process of working with clay.  It combines my fine art and crafting skills, 2D and 3D, and is a nice break from painting and jewelry.

2 comments:

  1. Yes! I love it! So much so, that I'm unexpectedly terrified of having it fall off the wall. So now I need to rethink the hanging hardware.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you are enjoying it Anna. One of those plastic wall anchors will do the trick if you are worried.

      Delete