Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Poseidon's Trident


Found Fork

Today’s beach excursion offered up my most mysterious find to date.  A fork.  I can’t tell you much about it except that it’s very old and rusty.  I imagine it being used by a sailor, perhaps on the King Philip.  It could be a soldier’s fork from the Presidio.  Perhaps it fed a missionary at Mission Dolores.  Or, took a cross-country journey with a 49’er.  The possibilities are infinite. 

Lying in the surf was what appeared to be an old light pole.  Check out the photos and let me know what you think.  My Google searches of forks did not yield any useful results.

Light Pole

2 comments:

  1. That is very cool, Pam. I like what you imagine about where the fork may have come from. It looks like it probably had a wooden handle attached, maybe?

    As for the light pole, I know it's much earlier than what was projected for any fall out to wash up on the west coast, but the first thing I thought of was Japan...

    Good day to you,
    Alison

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Alison! Yes, perhaps a wooden handle, it's impossible to tell. My brother speculated it is a cooking fork. The spokes are about 3.25" long, a little odd for eating with.

    Because it is too soon for Japan I think the lamp post is American. I wonder if was used as land fill somewhere on the coast and got washed up. Maybe it came from Playland or somewhere close by. It's fun to wonder!

    Pam

    ReplyDelete