Sunday, January 16, 2011

Forest Sketching


Yesterday John and I drove North along the coast to visit Salt Point State Park, just North of Jenner, CA. John’s mission was to photograph mushrooms, I was there to explore and take in the scenery.  These types of trips are often tricky for us.  John can spend up to 30 minutes photographing a subject while I’m standing around waiting.  Need I say more? 

This is the second outing I’ve brought my sketchpad, in an effort to keep myself busy while John is doing his thing.  The first time I tried this I couldn’t bring myself to sketch at all.  I think the difficulty is in shifting from hiking/exploring mode to becoming still and focused.

We walked along the road awhile then veered off trail.  It wasn’t long before John found several mushrooms he wanted to photograph.  I knew this was an opportunity to draw.  I paced the area, scoping out possible drawings.  I wasn’t sure I could do it, to settle down and sketch.  After about 15 minutes I finally picked a sit spot.  Still, I couldn’t draw.  So, I sat and studied the things on the ground around me.  I found cup fungus on a stick, old false chanterelle mushrooms, redwood needles, redwood cones, and Usnea (a light green lichen).   Finally, I started to focus.

A few days ago I visited the Robert Koch Gallery in San Francisco and saw the extraordinary photos of Yamamoto Masao.  The photos were luminous, filled with mystery, light, and nature.  Many reminded me of drawings.  They ignited a small spark of inspiration within me, to draw something small and detailed, with graphite only.  So, sitting there in the woods I turned my attention to the micro.

I picked up a clump of Usnea.  It was very soft and delicate with microscopic little “hairs”.  I found a tiny stick with a pleasing amount of the stuff, brought out the sketchbook, and lost myself in a miniature world.  Before long, my drawing was finished and John wanted to head to the ocean. 

So, I learned an important lesson: drawing on a hiking trip is possible.  It is much like meditating. I need to sit, slow down, take deep breaths, and connect with the landscape. I can’t just whip out my sketchbook and draw like one might do with a point-and-shoot camera.  With this precious knowledge, I know I can and will sketch in nature again and again.  
"Usnea on a Stick", graphite on paper, 8 1/2 x 5 1/2", 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment